Thursday, February 11, 2010

Awakening

I was awakened on November 4th when I not only witnessed, but experienced the powerful documentary by Hillsong, inspiring me to be something bigger than myself, to do something bigger than what I thought I could do. I was inspired and ready to spread the love. I left the theatre speechless, feeling helpless in the giant face of poverty, loneliness and deep need, but at the same time I was so full of hope for what could be. 
I was awakened on January 4th in Atlanta, Georgia when I sat in Phillips Arena at 2p.m listening to Louie Giglio and Marilyn Skinner talk about the children in the Watoto Village in Kampala, Uganda: The orphaned, the rescued child soldiers who no longer had a family because they were forced to murder them. At Watoto they were given a home and a family, they were given food and education, and they were given the love of Christ. Hundreds are being not only rescued, but nourished, because of the Skinner’s faithfulness to their calling. 


I was even more awakened on January 5th when Louie announced that 1.3 million dollars had been raised to overwhelm the goals of 12 organizations that had come with a purpose and a passion to Passion2010, which proved to be contagious to 21,000 college students.
Upon returning to Abilene in preparation for the spring semester I was awakened, broken and inspired: I was newly awakened to different things going on around the world, both inside of my country and outside of my country. I was broken for those who are unfortunate and mistreated, wishing so bad there was something I could do that would make even a dent of difference. But I was inspired to find something I could do to make a difference. 
I was knowledgeable, and no longer naive. Little did I know that being awakened to the great need in the nations would shake me to my core. I am constantly replaying the images I have seen in the videos, photos I have seen on the internet, and stories I have heard through many mediums. I keep researching, googling, trying to figure out something I can do from here in Abilene, or somewhere I could go for a short period of time after this semester ends. 
The earthquake shook Haiti on January 12th, just a few nights after I first read about this orphaned Children’s home called Danita’s Children. It’s been a month. And I have thought about those orphaned Children every day since then. I have visited Danita’s website every day since then. I have printed out a missions application to go to Danita’s children. 
Will I go? I don’t know. I sure hope I can find time this summer to fly down there for a week or two to love on these children. And while I have stirred up this high, this passion for compassion, this passion for the less fortunate and the unreached, I am having a hard time discerning whether or not there is a call. There is so much need, how can I not be called?
There is so much need in Uganda. 
There is so much need in Haiti. 
But what about the need in Abilene? 
I want to do something now. I don’t just want to sit around with a passion to do something, I want to actually do it. 
"Anyone who sets himself up as "religious" by talking a good game is self-deceived. This kind of religion is hot air and only hot air. Real religion, the kind that passes muster before God the Father, is this: Reach out to the homeless and loveless in their plight, and guard against corruption from the godless world." James 1:26-27
Lord, I don’t want to be religious. I want to be a servant. I want to be a disciple. I want to be your hands. 
Use me? 

1 comment:

  1. I saw this on twitter. I saw the I-Heart film and attended Passion2010, and was awakened also. I loved reading this because my experiences were very similar. I wanted to comment because I have family and friends who have served/gone to haiti with Danita's children. I doubt it will matter much who you go with when you're following jesus there, but it changed their lives. This is very awesome, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete