Tuesday, June 1, 2010

At The Beginning

Reflecting on week one of my internship with the North Texas Super Bowl XLV Host Committee:

“Hello this is Morgan with the North Texas Super Bowl 45 Host Committee...” is how I have answered the telephone for the past week and how I will continue to answer the telephone for the remainder of the summer.
It seems surreal that I have started my journey to being a professional woman. Doing an internship like this one at this age really helps me to put my goals and dreams into perspective. Working in the sports industry, whether it be professional or not, is where I am feeling a pull toward. I could see myself working in community outreach--working with youth and charities on behalf of a sports team. I could also see myself mentoring young people while having a career in some aspect of collegiate athletics. 
It’s no secret that I am a dreamer... I think most people know that about me. I am also ambitious, I am passionate and I am a competitor. The combination of my most dominant qualities make me who I am--they make me a unique woman. The combination of these qualities also have the potential to make me a strong and powerful woman. 
With that said, when I made up my mind that I wanted to pursue a career in the sports industry, I was given the opportunity to apply for an internship for Super Bowl XLV. I remember being offered the internship back in November, but it wasn’t until I was handed my own XLV name badge at the Sting concert that I realized that this opportunity was for real. I hadn’t made it up in my head--I am really working for the Super Bowl, only the largest annual sports event in the United States. 
May 22: My first day on staff was actually not in the Host Committee offices, but at the Winspear Opera House in downtown Dallas at a Sting concert. I walked in, was handed a heavy duty name badge with my name, Morgan Rainer, next to the XLV logo, a walkie talkie and a clipboard with a play by play of the night (including my staff assignment). It was a great night full of fun and music (and standing). Surprisingly, Sting sang a few songs that I new the words to! I was able to meet a few of the staff and interns I would be working with for the summer. Oh, and I was also wearing a pair of brand new Ralph Lauren high heels--I obviously hadn’t anticipated being on my feet for 7 hours that evening. 
Lesson One: Learn to like flats--whether or not they are flattering on my 5 foot tall figure. My new flats are my new best friend.
The following week was one of becoming acquainted with the job: the people, the phones, the protocol, and the FAQs. 6 days in and I think I have picked it up pretty quickly. 
My years of experience answering the phone at the Northridge Tennis Pro Shop has really paid off. I have been answering many phone calls and making even more of them. I have had to call a list of a couple hundred volunteers who have incomplete registrations so after about the 2nd phone call I was beginning to feel like one of those telemarketers. Now let me tell you one thing: I think I am probably the most perky telemarketer sounding phone call maker there is. And to my surprise, I have received many positive responses and have even had a few friendly off-topic conversations with my volunteers on the other line. Really though, making hundreds of phone calls hasn’t been all that bad. I think I am just still giddy about those phone calls being on behalf of the “North Texas Super Bowl 45 Host Committee.” 
Pinch me?
While I have done other intern-y tasks such as sending out e-mails, looking up information to put into a spreadsheet and running errands, phone calls seem to consume the most of my mornings. Definitely the grunt work, but I honestly can’t be happier to be doing the grunt work! I’m loving it! 
Hopefully next week I will be put on some more intense and exciting assignments. Until then, I’m just going to do everything I am asked to do efficiently, accurately and cheerfully. 
Although I can’t wait for what the future holds, for now I’m just going to worry about what God has put right in front of me and give 100% in whatever I am asked to do. 

Stay tuned for more--I'm going to do my best to document my summer on here. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment