Wednesday, June 9, 2010

City Love

This whole internship thing has really given me a taste of not only the professional life, but also the big city life. 
The mornings go something like this: 
In order to be at my desk by 8:45 a.m., I usually have to wake up around 5:30 a.m. After the taking the shower, drying the hair, fixing the hair, picking out an outfit and getting dressed, I am usually ready to be out of the door by 7:30 a.m. Morning rush hour is not much fun and challenging because it usually requires a certain level of awareness to safely navigate through 15 mph traffic for 30 miles on the interstate. Sometimes I need the blaring music to keep me awake because the lack of excitement in morning traffic fails to do so. Lately, though, I have utilized a few free audiobook downloads that I have found on www.christianaudio.com and will be listening to a few books during my commutes. Right now I am almost finished listening to World Vision President, Richard Stearns’s, book “The Hole In Our Gospel” and it has been a phenomenal book.
I arrive at work and utilize the cool little Keurig coffee maker in the break room, which I contribute to my growing addiction to coffee. A 5:30 a.m. alarm definitely allows for 2 or 3 or 4 cups of coffee when I get to work. Not that it gives me any sort of energy boost, but I know it has the potential to and I love the taste of the Butter Toffee coffee that we have here. 
One thing I really love about this internship, besides the Butter Toffee coffee, is the genuine interest the staff of the Host Committee has for the interns. We’re not just here to take up some slack and run errands at their every command, we are here to be mentored, to be given opportunities, to learn more about the job and the industry in which we are in pursuit of. It is great that they recognize this and want to do all they can to give us a productive and educational internship experience that is relevant to our career goals. Now that I understand that this internship is not just for me to gain experience, but it is for me to also be mentored by other young professionals, I want to utilize these few short months I have with these people. I want to soak in as much as I can. I want to volunteer for as many assignments and projects as I can. Even the phone calls. 
I happen to run a lot of errands--part of the intern job description I suppose. I have driven all over the metroplex making drop offs and pick ups and purchases. I think the most memorable would be the time that I avoided the toll road. Big mistake on my part. Dumb solution on my GPS’s part. Okay, so it’s my fault that I chose to avoid the toll road, but I didn’t realize then that my detour would put me 40 miles out of the way from the original route. Not only that, but my lovely GPS and its detour dropped me off at the parking lot of Prestonwood Baptist Church, a good 15 minutes away from the place that should have been at the finish line. Oh, and did I mention that this was at 8 in the morning? Back to my lesson learned this week: Never avoid the toll roads. It’s not worth it! Especially if the bill is going to Texarkana--then I’ll never see it anyways. (I love you Daddy!) 
Morgan
Oh, and in explanation of the random book reviews peppered throughout my blog, I am part of a program for Thomas Nelson called BookSneeze (www.booksneeze.com) and it is a blogging for books program. They send me a free book, I read it, and then I blog about it! It’s a wonderful situation, being the book enthusiast that I am. With that sad, expect a few book reviews every now and then!

No comments:

Post a Comment